Follow LIVE - Brazil vs Switzerland Group G FIFA World Cup 2022
South Korea head coach Paulo Bento was back on the sideline for his team’s round of 16 clash against Brazil on Monday after missing the final group match against Portugal due to a red card shown by referee Anthony Taylor for protesting after the Asian team’s 2-3 loss against Ghana in the second group match match of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022.
With South Korea losing against Ghana, all hope was not lost as 10 minutes were given at the end of the second half. South Korea, the team creating the better chances after going behind, got a corner in the dying stages of the second-half added time.
The South Korean team thought they would have a final chance to equalise but Taylor blew the full-time whistle after the ball had gone out for a corner, inviting the ire of the South Korean team and Support staff.
Bento went straight to Taylor for protesting the decision, which did not go down well with the English official. Taylor showed the red card to Bento.
As a result of the red card, Bento wasn’t present in the team dugout for South Korea’s last group game against Portugal on December 2 which it won 2-1 with a stoppage-time winner from Hwang Heechan.
Bento was also shown a yellow card in South Korea’s opening match against Uruguay.
Before being appointed as the manager of South Korea, Paulo Bento served as the manager of his country, Portugal, in the FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014, where it failed to advance from the group stage.
Bento, a former defensive midfielder with Sporting CP and Portugal, was appointed South Korea manager in August 2018.
At the age of 35, Bento started his coaching career with Sporting CP. In the 2005-06 season, he inspired the team to UEFA Champions League qualification, finishing second behind Porto.
- Check out Sportstar’s coverage of World Cup in Qatar
- Scan the World Cup in pictures
- Football fans, put your skills to the test with FIFA World Cup Quiz
- Soak in the rich history of the football World Cup
- WATCH: What’s happening in Qatar and who is saying what
- Here are some of the most frequently asked questions
- GG vs MI Live Score, WPL 2024: Hemalatha falls, Mooney-Gardner look to rebuild
- Chelsea vs Liverpool Carabao Cup 2023-24 final LIVE Updates, CHE v LIV: Lineups out, Salah, Nunez not in match day squad for Liverpool
- Kerala Blasters vs FC Goa LIVE score, KBFC 0-2 FCG, ISL 10: Noah strike wrongly called offside; Yasir, Borges goals keep Gaurs ahead
- Indian sports wrap, February 25
- I-League 2023-24: Rilwan Hassan scores brace as Sreenidi Deccan beats Namdhari FC, continues winning streak