Welcome to Sportstar’s highlights of the Uruguay vs South Korea match from the Education City Stadium.
- If South Korea manages a positive result against Uruguay, it will be the third time an Asian country upsets a top team in the World Cup, after Saudi Arabia and Japan’s wins against Argentina and Germany respectively.
- South Korea has started on a positive note. It is not sitting back and the forward line has kept the Uruguay defence busy in the opening minutes of the first-half.
- End-to-end play in the match with chances being created by both sides. Both teams seem to have found their footing and are not sitting back.
- 34’- Ui-jo with the best chance of the match. He tries to finish first-time from a low cross but blazes his shot over the bar from close-range.
- Match is goalless at the break.
- South Korea has maintained its incessant pressure from the first-half. Uruguay players are not enjoying much time on the ball.
- South Korea creating plenty of attacking opportunities but cannot materialise them into positive outcomes. ‘
- Uruguay takes off Luis Suarez and brings on Edinson Cavani. Can this be the turning point?
Uruguay vs South Korea starting lineups!!
South Koreans will be anxiously awaiting news of whether captain Son Heung-min is available when they need him most, as the Asian giant starts its World Cup campaign on Thursday against an Uruguay side with a track record of deep runs in the tournament.
The Tottenham Hotspur forward sustained multiple fractures around his left eye three weeks ago and has been training in Qatar wearing a black protective mask reminiscent of swashbuckling vigilante Zorro.
Group H also includes Portugal and Ghana, meaning Son’s unrelenting threat and firepower against an uncertain Uruguayan defence will be vital for South Korea to pick up some crucial early points by negating Uruguay’s attacking flair.
South Korea coach Paulo Bento has imposed a team gag order on discussing Son’s state of World Cup readiness, hoping to keep Uruguay’s strategists in the dark.
“We should check and analyse day by day, let him come,” Bento said in the run-up to Qatar.
“We have time to make the right decisions and the best decisions for all of us.”
Son is eager to play, wary of the possibility of further injuries from a premature return, last week saying he was “more than willing to bear those risks”.
Uruguay is once again the dark horse of the tournament, with a squad that combines a trusted old guard of players age 35 or above, with exciting young talent eager to make their mark in their first World Cup.
They includes Liverpool’s record signing Darwin Nunez, who is expected to be paired up front with the ageing Luis Suarez, a key component in Uruguay’s impressive march to the semi-finals in the 2010 World Cup.
Nunez at 23 is 12 years younger than Suarez and fellow forward Edinson Cavani, who play in their fourth World Cup, as does captain and most capped player Diego Godin.
Among 13 debutants will be Real Madrid’s versatile midfielder Federico Valverde and Manchester United’s Facundo Pellistri, who link up with Tottenham’s in-form Rodrigo Bentancur in a midfield for which Uruguay’s squad has plenty of depth.
Coach Diego Alonso sees the yawning age gap as a boon and believes Uruguay could even win this World Cup, as they did in 1930 and 1950.
That could be a tall order and commentators have noted frailties at the back that South Korea could exploit, particularly in the centre, while there is no word yet on whether Barcelona’s Ronald Araujo is available after undergoing thigh surgery.
Uruguay has reached 14 World Cups and South Korea 11, but neither has a good record in their opening match, with the Asian side losing or drawing in their last two World Cups and Uruguay unable to win its openers in six of its last seven editions.
When and where will the Uruguay vs South Korea, FIFA World Cup 2022 match take place?
The Group H match between Uruguay and South Korea will take place on November 24 at 6:30 pm IST at the Education City Stadium.
Where to watch the live telecast of Uruguay vs South Korea in the FIFA World Cup 2022 in India?
The live telecast of the Group H match between Uruguay and South Korea will be available on Viacom 18-owned Sports18 in India.
Where to watch the live stream of Uruguay vs South Korea in the FIFA World Cup 2022 in India?
The live stream of the Group H match between Uruguay and South Korea will be available on Voot, Jio Cinema in India.
- ICC Test rankings: Yashasvi Jaiswal rises to 12th, Dhruv Jurel to 69th
- P.V. Sindhu - bouncing back in style at Badminton Asia Team Championships
- Organisers keen on cricket in 2026 Asian Games despite venue woes
- Hockey India: Statements by outgoing officials claiming divisions within the organisation are not correct
- Siddarth Kaul: Winning white-ball trophy but missing out in red-ball cricket doesn’t discredit the players’ skills