India captain Sunil Chhetri is looking forward to playing against a “quality opponent” in China as the two teams lock horns after 21 years in a friendly at Suzhou, China, on Saturday.
In an interview with AIFF, Chhetri assessed India’s chances in what he considers to be a “perfect challenge” to engage the team ahead of the AFC Asian Cup in 2019.
“To face them at their home is going to be a tough challenge but this is a challenge that we should face now. Our form away from home hasn’t been particularly very good. This is a great opportunity for us to take a good account of ourselves,” he said.
China, coached by Italian Marcelo Lippi, has improved its footballing standards of late, Chhetri observed. He said, “China are one of the Asian teams who are doing really great in football of late [sic]. The [Chinese Super League] has gone from strength to strength and the national team has benefitted from that under a respectable coach like Marcelo Lippi.”
Read - Anas Edathodika: Upsetting China a tough job but not impossible
The players will be tested on all fronts, predicted Chhetri. “By the look and feel, I believe we have to do a lot of defending. We should not afford them much space. At the same time, whenever we find a little room of opportunity, we have to construct the moves and counter them. To sum it up, it’s a game where we must be at the top of our game in every single department. If we are not being able to combine well and operate as a team, then they will make us struggle a lot,” he said.
Chhetri expressed eagerness at taking the field. “I’m happy that I’m back to the team once again, that too for an away fixture. It’s very difficult but it’s something where I want to be,” he said.
- Table Tennis LIVE Score Asian Games 2023: Indian men’s team beat Tajikistan 3-0, women’s go past Nepal 3-0 to advance to next round
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Punjab FC LIVE streaming info, ISL 2023-24: When, where to watch; Preview
- Asian Games 2023 Live Score, September 23: India vs Tajikistan men’s TT match, India leads 2-0; India women’s team wins 3-0 - Hangzhou 2022 updates
- Premier League: Guardiola backs Haaland to take ‘big chances’
- Premier League: Pochettino defends Chelsea medical team amid rash of injuries