Fernando Santiago Varela is back as Gokulam Kerala’s coach. The Spaniard has taken over from Gift Raikhan, who has returned to Neroca FC after joining Gokulam midway through last I-League, replacing Bino George.
Bino was in charge of the team after Varela’s first stint lasted only a few months last year. Bino remains as the team’s technical director.
Jobby Justin free to play for ATK
“It is a great honour to be back,”said Varela. “I had some unavoidable circumstances in Spain and had to leave before the I-League started. Now I am back.”
His first assignment will be the Durand Cup , to be held in Kolkata next month.
“We will be vying for top honours this season,"said Varela. "The players have already started fitness sessions and now I will oversee the training sessions. We have to prepare well for the Durand Cup. It is great to be back here and now I have got a historic tournament as my first assignment.”
ALSO READ |
Durand Cup back after three years, tickets priced from Rs 20
The Barcelona-based Fernando Varela has previously coached Catalalan club CF Gava before joining Gokulam. He is the author of the book 'Futbol Inteligente’.
- Hard-serving Ivo Karlovic officially announces his retirement from tennis
- World team table tennis c’ships: India men edge out Kazakhstan to enter Round of 16
- Former India cricketer Lalchand Rajput appointed UAE head coach
- Take Bairstow out of firing line: Cook urges England to bench the out-of-form batter
- Royal Challengers Bangalore WPL 2024 team analysis: Squad depth, players to watch out, fixtures