Former champion Gokulam Kerala FC started its campaign on a winning note as it downed the Indian Air Force Football Team 2-0 in a group C league match of the 132nd Durand Cup, at the Kishore Bharati Stadium on Wednesday.
Sourav scored the lung opener late in the first half before Sreekuttan V.S. arrived as a substitute after the break to seal the issue for the Malabarians with a spectacular finishing midway through the second half.
The win offered a positive start to the aspirations of Gokulam Kerala which will be facing ISL powerhouses Kerala Blasters and Bengaluru FC, the defending Durand champion, in the next two rounds of the group league fixtures.
In another match played earlier in the day, Tribhuvan Army FC of Nepal was held to a 1-1 draw by the I-League side Delhi FC in a Group E match at the SAI Stadium, Kokrajhar.
Dinesh Henjan scored for the Tribhuvan Army FC while Girish Khosla scored the equalizer late for Delhi FC. After having held Hyderabad FC 1-1 in its first outing, this was Delhi FC’s second straight draw.
With the fourth side in the group, Chennaiyin FC, yet to begin its campaign, Delhi FC remained on top of the group standings with two points from as many matches.
The results: Group C (Kolkata): Gokulam Kerala FC 2 (Sourav 36, Sreekuttan 67) bt Indian Air Force FT 0.
Group E (Kokrajhar): Delhi FC 1 (Girish Khosla 88) drew with Tribhuvan Army FC 1 (Dinesh Henjan 39).
- Mat Ryan – Australia’s captain with Batman-esque mask looks to repay coach’s faith in AFC Asian Cup 2023
- Food for meditation and performance: Are we missing the link in today’s fast-food life?
- State of affairs in Pakistan cricket is really sad: Miandad
- A whingeing and moaning media in sport
- India vs Syria LIVE streaming info: When, where to watch AFC Asian Cup 2023 match, Preview