Chennai City FC rallied from a goal down to defeat Gokulam Kerala FC 3-2 in their I-League clash at the EMS Stadium here on Sunday.
The home team got off to a running start. A strong and sudden raid by its forwards got the team the all-important goal in the fourth minute. It came off a spot kick as Felipe De Castro was brought down by Roberto inside the danger area.
There were heated discussions and after much debate by the visitor, Antonio German buried the penalty into the back of the net. The Chennai men were disappointed but moved on in search of the equaliser.
Danger man Pedro Javier Manzi combined well with the likes of Nestor Gordillo, Alexander Romario and Ajith Kumar and it paid off in the 22nd minute.
Nestor proved to be the architect of the equalsier. He dribbled with confidence from the right and fired at the goal. Gokulam custodian Shibbin Kunniyul managed to block the shot but Pravitto Raju was quick to pack the rebound home.
Having found the equaliser, Chennai City marched with authority into the rival citadel, and Gokulam crumbled under the resulting pressure. Manzi cashed in on confusion in the defence, sidestepped the goalkeeper, and shot his team into the lead.
Chennai City FC missed the services of Manzi in the second half as he had to be taken off due to an injury. His replacement, Ameerudeen, pulled off a stunner in the 68th minute to extend Chennai City's lead.
V. P. Suhair bagged a goal within two minutes to bring his side back into the match. However, it proved to be too much of a task for Gokulam Kerala as Chennai City FC held on to clinch its second win of the season.
- Mohun Bagan vs Jamshedpur FC LIVE, MBSG 2-0 JFC, ISL 10: Cummings scores after Petratos to double Mariners lead
- PKL Final Live Score: Puneri Paltan leads, Shadloui eyeing century of tackle points
- Premier League 2023-24: Diaz fit, Salah may return next week, Klopp says ahead of Nottingham Forest trip
- Ranji Trophy preview: Chandrakant Pandit eyes victory against former side as Vidarbha, Madhya Pradesh face off
- WPL 2024 Live Score, UPW vs GG: Giants 142/5 (20); Ecclestone picks three; Gardner, Litchfield score thirties