East Bengal FC settled for a gripping 1-1 draw against Chennaiyin FC at the Jawaharlal Nehru Indoor Stadium as the Marina Machans struck by coming from behind and securing a solitary point through an 86th minute goal by substitute Ninthoinganba Meetei.
As the Indian Super League (ISL) 2023-24 action returned from international break, Owen Coyle and his men were dealt with an early blow as Ayush Adhikari found the back of his own net to get his team trailing in the 29th minute.
However, the home side rode on the crowd support to constantly knock the opposition’s door, as Rafael Crivellaro’s sharp creative vision blended brilliantly with Ninthoinganba’s accuracy in front of goal to ensure that they didn’t succumb to a second straight defeat at home.
With two goals and assists each, Crivellaro has made an impact many times for Chennaiyin this season. He was again at the centre of it all with an accurate pass to Ninthoinganba on the right side of the 18-yard box in the 86th minute. The 22-year-old showed no qualms in putting the ball past Prabsukhan Singh Gill and salvaged a point for his side from this match.
- IPL 2024: Hardik Pandya’s likely transfer to Mumbai Indians continues to be talking point hours after retention deadline
- Ducati’s Bagnaia wins Valencia GP to defend MotoGP title, Jorge Martin crashes
- Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: Hamilton concerned by Red Bull’s enduring advantage
- Women’s Super League: Lauren James steers Chelsea to win over Leicester, Arsenal beats West Ham
- IPL 2024 Retention Day Highlights: Full list of retained, released players and team squads; Hardik Pandya remains at Gujarat Titans; RCB releases Hasaranga, Harshal, Hazlewood