The Kalinga Super Cup will be organised in Odisha starting from January 9, 2024, the All India Football Federation announced on Wednesday. The matches are planned to be held in two different venues in Odisha.
Both Indian Super League (ISL) and I-League teams have been invited to take part in the annual tournament. The format of the tournament will consist of four groups of four teams each, who will play single leg matches amongst themselves. The group winners will qualify for the semi-finals followed by the final to be played on January 28, 2024.
The I-League teams will play the qualifiers to get into the group stage of Kalinga Super Cup where four slots have been reserved for them in the group stage.
Since the tournament will be played during the AFC Asian Cup, the participating clubs will be without the players selected for the national team.
The Champion of Kalinga Super Cup will be nominated to play in the ACL 2 Preliminary Stage of AFC 2023-24 season.
AIFF president Kalyan Chaubey said, “As per the decision we took earlier, the annual Super Cup tournament will now be organised in a bigger and broader perspective. The tournament will now be known as Kalinga Super Cup and will be played in Odisha in January 2024. This is a positive development for Indian domestic football. I am confident the Kalinga Super Cup will be a huge hit both in terms of organisation and spectator interest.”
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 3: ENG 109/3, leads by 155 runs; Crawley hits fifty
- Ranji Trophy Live Score 2024 Quarterfinals Day 3 Updates: Saurashtra rebuild after Warrier strikes; Mulani picks two in two vs Baroda
- Gopi Thonakal wins elite men’s race in New Delhi Marathon
- WPL 2024: UP Warriorz mentor Lisa Sthalekar impressed with team’s fielding after narrow defeat to RCB
- Irfan Pathan lauds Akash Deep for a memorable debut, terms Yashasvi Jaiswal as ‘‘special’‘