Chennaiyin FC have signed Tamil Nadu players Lijo Francis and Jockson Dhas their maiden Indian Super League (ISL) contracts for two years ahead of the upcoming season.
The duo will be joining Chennaiyin FC from the Bhopal-based club Madan Maharaj.
Dhas, who hails from Vallavilai village, located in Kanyakumari district, is a midfielder while Francis is a defender. They had played together for Chennai City for two I-League seasons.
Francis was one of the few Indian footballers selected for a month-long training camp in Madrid by the Spanish club AD Alcorcon. The 22-year-old youngster has played 11 matches in his professional career with one goal to his credit.
While expressing excitement on his first ISL contract, Francis said, “I am happy to join the Chennaiyin FC family and I am excited to play in front of the fans. This is my first time playing for a club in the ISL and I’m looking forward to the upcoming season.”
Dhas, on the other hand, began his professional career with the Lions in 2019 and has made 32 appearances so far. He has scored two goals and provided three assists. Interestingly, both of his goals came while playing as a centre forward. He also featured in one AFC Cup game for Chennai City.
“I’m so excited to play for Chennaiyin FC, a club from my hometown, in front of the Tamil Nadu fans. I will give my best for these fans and this team,” Dhas said.
Latest on Sportstar
- BCCI president Binny distances himself from 83’ World Cup-winning team’s statement on wrestlers’ protest
- Nadal having hip muscle surgery says representative
- Diamond League: Faith Kipyegon breaks women’s 1500m world record
- Diamond League: Aboobacker finishes sixth in men’s triple jump
- Kvaratskhelia named Serie A player of the year after helping Napoli to title