Defending champion ATK downed NorthEast United FC by a solitary goal to end its Indian Super League campaign on a winning note, at the Salt Lake Stadium on Sunday.
Irish World Cupper Robbie Keane flicked home a spectacular goal to secure the points as ATK ended a run of eight winless outings and finished ninth in the final standings, which was its worst performance in the four seasons of the tournament.
North East United ended another fruitless season as it finished last with 11 points from 18 matches. For ATK the final tally of points was 16 from 18 matches.
The two-time champion ATK ended a nightmarish run of eight winless matches — that included seven losses and a draw — under Keane who doubled up as a coach and manager in the side’s final appearance of the season. The dismal performance saw the exit of two managers — Teddy Sheringham and Ashley Westwood — before as ATK found the consolation win at the end.
The goal came in the 10th minute when Keane cut through couple of North East defenders to flick home a long ball from Conor Thomas.
- Barca has shown ‘winning mentality’ in Champions League, says Xavi
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 4: TN 162 all-out vs Baroda; Khajuria falls after ton as Mayank strikes twice; Mumbai closes in on win vs Pondicherry
- S.Korea suspend striker Hwang Ui-jo over sex video investigation
- Liverpool set to clinch place in Europa League knockouts
- Indian sports news wrap, November 28