ISL's defending champion Chennaiyin FC announced a pre-season friendly with the Malaysian Indian Football Association (MIFA) on Friday. The match is to played at the Majlis Perbandaran Petaling Jaya Stadium on September 4. MIFA currently competes in the Malaysian Premier League, the second tier of Malaysian football, and finished third last season.
Chennaiyin FC Head Coach John Gregory lauded MIFA’s initiatives ahead of seeing his team back in action. “We are excited to play a pre-season friendly against a team that is doing great things for the Malaysian-Indian populace here.
"On behalf of the club I would like to thank MIFA for initiating this friendly match. MIFA had a very good domestic season and are doing very well in the Malaysia Cup. We are looking forward to a very tough and exciting contest."
MIFA general secretary K.V. Anba added, “Through this close working relationship with Chennaiyin FC, MIFA is certain both clubs will scale to greater heights through effective management and sustenance via sound developmental programs.”
CFC and MIFA are also in talks for signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that will make friendlies between both sides an annual affair, with a friendly match also likely to be played in Chennai in 2019.
- Du Plessis hints at return to international cricket ahead of T20 World Cup
- Manchester United vs Chelsea: Top five Premier League clashes
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant looks to avenge AFC Cup loss against Odisha FC
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Odisha FC LIVE streaming info, ISL 2023-24: When, where to watch; Preview
- WATCH: Bangladesh’s Mushfiqur Rahim out handling the ball in second Test against New Zealand