FC Goa got its Indian Super League campaign off to a flying start with a comfortable 3-0 against two-time champions Chennaiyin FC at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on Wednesday.

The home side was in control of the game for the most part, with quick passes and rotation of possession helping it control the pace of the game.

The first chance, however, fell to the visiting side when Dragos Firtulescu was sent through on goal in the 12th minute. Seriton Fernandes’ last-ditch challenge stopped the attack but the Chennaiyin players protested for a penalty. The referee waved play on but the replays showed that it was indeed a foul.

Sergio Lobera's side soon regained control of the game. Ferran Corominas picked up the ball from midfield in the 19th minute and released Seiminlen Doungel. Chennaiyin keeper Vishal Kaith was off his line in a flash before Goa's new signing could take a shot. A minute later, Manvir Singh attempted a powerful strike after making room for himself at the edge of the box and once again, Kaith was up to the task, pulling off a diving save to his left.

As it happened

Goa's intent in the attacking third was rewarded at the half hour-mark. Manvir Singh beat his marker and crossed into the box from the right flank. The striker's cross took a double deflection off Eli Sabia and Doungel before rolling into the net.

The host refused to sit back after taking the lead. Brandon Fernandes' piledriver just before half-time had Vishal Kaith well beaten but the ball flew just wide. Ferran Corominas's curling effort a minute later was tipped away by an acrobatic Kaith.


To swing the contest back in his team's favour, John Gregory replaced Dhanpal Ganesh with the more creative Anirudh Thapa after the halftime break.

Goa, however, continued to create chances and soon doubled its lead. Manvir Singh broke away through the middle and found Jackichand Singh in space to his right. The winger's low cross into the center of the box was guided into the net in by Ferran Corominas – who scored his 35th league goal in just his 41st game.

Chennaiyin struggled in the attacking third and was unable to find a way back into the game. Lallianzuala Chhangte did have a chance to pull one back when he tried to curl the ball into the top right corner from the edge of the box, but Mohammed Nawaz produced a brilliant save to preserve Goa’s clean sheet.

FC Goa added a third in the 81st minute and sealed the win when a Brandon free-kick from the left was poked into the net by Carlos Pena at the near post.