The presence of in-form goalkeepers on both ends, Bengaluru FC’s Gurpreet Singh Sandhu and Vishal Kaith for FC Pune City, may create trouble for the forwards to score in the Indian Super League (ISL) first-leg semifinal at the Balewadi stadium here on Wednesday.
Ahead of the tie, here is
Sportstar's predicted XI for Wednesday's clash.
FC Pune City:
Pune City coach Ranko Popovic is llkely to stick to his tried and tested 4-2-3-1 formation.
21-year-old Vishal Kaith, who is a strong contender for the Golden Glove award with six clean sheets, will handle the goal-stopping duties while Spanish veteran Rafael Lopez will anchor the home side's defence. Lopez will be supported by the Indian trio of Gurtej Singh, Sahil Panwar and Baljit Sahni.
Jonathan Lucca, who has featured in all the side's matches this season, and Adil Khan are likely to play in a defensive midfield position, while Isaac Vanmalsawma, Marcos Tebar and the crafty Emiliano Alfaro will play a more attacking role.
In-form Marcelinho, who has scored eight goals so far, will look to combine with Alfaro and add to his tally. New-signing Marko Stankovic is also expected to make an appearance later in the game.
Leading Indian goal-keeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu will man the posts, while Juanan, John Johnson, Rahul Bheke and Subasish Bose will form the back-four.
ALSO READ: ISL semifinals: Focus on the Spanish crop
The in-sync combination of Erik Paartalu, Lenny Rodrigues and Toni Dovale will take over midfield responsibilities, while skipper Sunil Chhetri will take over the the three-pronged attacking front. Chhetri will be supported by Miku and Udanta Singh and the three have formed a remarkable partnership so far this season.
- I-League 2023-24 Top Scorers: Here are the leading goalscorers after matchday seven
- AFC Cup 2023-24: Mohun Bagan SG to face Odisha FC in a do-or-die affair
- Olympic selection trials for shooting to be held at two venues from May 3
- Mohun Bagan SG vs Odisha FC LIVE, AFC Cup updates: MGSG v OFC, Starting lineups, streaming info
- Vijay Hazare Trophy: Gujarat’s Urvil Patel smashes 41-ball hundred, records second-fastest List A ton by Indian