Inter Milan defender Alessandro Bastoni has withdrawn from Italy’s last two Euro 2024 qualifiers and has been replaced by Roma’s Gianluca Mancini, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) announced on Thursday.
Bastoni is suffering from a muscle strain in his right calf, the FIGC said.
Coach Luciano Spalletti had already lost two central defenders from his initial 29-man squad to injury, AC Milan captain Davide Calabria and Rafael Toloi of Atalanta.
Spalletti has also called up uncapped Atalanta goalkeeper Marco Carnesecchi because Tottenham’s Guglielmo Vicario is slightly ill.
Reigning European champion Italy is third in its group where table topper England has already qualified.
To lock up qualification as runner-up, Italy needs to pick up at least four points from its games against Northern Macedonia in Rome on Friday and Ukraine in Leverkusen in Germany on Monday.
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Anubhav, Kartikeya hand Madhya Pradesh first-innings lead against Andhra on Day 2
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Musheer Khan’s double-century puts Mumbai in strong position on Day 2
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Indrajith steps up again as Tamil Nadu asserts control over Saurashtra on Day 2
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Sai Kishore’s fifer keeps Tamil Nadu in command against Saurashtra on Day 1
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Karun Nair’s knock gives Vidarbha the upper hand against Karnataka on Day 2