Alexis Sanchez needs regular match action either at Manchester United or elsewhere, says Chile great Ivan Zamorano.
Sanchez left Arsenal for United in January, 2018, but has struggled to find his best form at Old Trafford, starting just nine Premier League games last season and scoring once.
The 30-year-old has continued to score for Chile, though, netting twice so far at the Copa America, yet Zamorano believes the rust from his club campaign has still been evident in the wins over Japan and Ecuador. And the former Chile star wants Sanchez, who has been linked with Juventus, to be a starter wherever he begins next term.
"What's best for [Sanchez] is to play — wherever he can, be it at Manchester United or any other team," Zamorano told Omnisport .
"The important thing is for him to be constantly competing. I talk from my experience. Sometimes when you're abroad and you're not playing, it is hard to regain the level. We've seen it. Alexis hasn't played in Manchester for a long time, but the second he puts on the Chilean shirt, he's different. That's what we like.
"No matter how you are doing at your team, we hope at the moment you put on the Chilean shirt you give your best, and that's what Alexis is doing. I'm very happy to see him regaining his level and to see him being a vital part of Chile, being a protagonist in South America again."
Latest on Sportstar
- French Open 2023: Swiatek to face Gauff in quarterfinals after Tsurenko retires unwell
- French Open 2023: Rune beats Cerundolo in final set tiebreak, sets up quarterfinal rematch with Ruud
- Seven punished by Spanish government for racist insults against Vinicius
- Nacho, Fati called up to Spain squad for Nations League finals
- Asian U20 Athletics Championship: Shivam bags silver in javelin throw; Shakeel wins bronze in 800m