Valencia and Netherlands goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen has undergone surgery on a ruptured thigh muscle, the La Liga club said on Thursday.
Valencia's statement said the operation was a success and the keeper, 31, would remain in hospital until Friday.
The club did not state for how long he would be out but Spanish media reports said he would be on the sidelines for four months, meaning he is likely to make it back in time to play for his country in the rescheduled European Championship.
Former Ajax Amsterdam and Barcelona keeper Cillessen, who has been second choice behind Jaume Domenech this campaign for Valencia, sustained the injury in last Friday's training session.
- Bahrain Grand Prix: F1 champion Verstappen of Red Bull on pole for season-opener
- Ranji Trophy semifinal: Chandrakant Pandit eyes victory against former side as Vidarbha, Madhya Pradesh face off
- German Open 2024: Jolly-Gayatri bow out of quarterfinals, lose to Chinese pair of Jing-Min
- Mohun Bagan vs Jamshedpur FC highlights, MBSG 3-0 JFC, ISL 2023-24: Sadiku, Cummings, Petratos goals guide Mariners to comfortable win
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant cruises to win against Jamshedpur FC