Diego Costa is to undergo surgery in Brazil on a lingering foot injury, Atletico Madrid has confirmed.
The Spain international has endured a difficult 2018, scoring just four times in 26 LaLiga matches after returning to the club from Chelsea, and now looks set to miss around two months of action.
This season he has been particularly poor, with his goal against Barcelona in late November being his only decisive action in 11 outings, ending a nine-month drought.
However, the 30-year-old has been fighting the effects of a foot injury and Atletico has finally decided to send him for surgery.
"Diego Costa is to be operated on in Brazil this week due to ongoing pain in his left foot," read the club's statement.
"After considering all the possible options, the decision has been made to undertake the operation in Brazil, supervised by Atletico Madrid's medical services.
"Our striker, who had an operation on the fifth metatarsal of his left foot 12 years ago, has been enduring ongoing pain due to foot trauma suffered three weeks ago."
Atletico has not said how long it expects him to be absent, however reports in Spain suggest he faces potentially two months out, with the derby against Real Madrid on February 9 a possible target fixture for a return.
Costa's injury will provide Nikola Kalinic with a chance to impress following his arrival from AC Milan in pre-season.
The Croatia international has featured just twice from the start in LaLiga this term and is yet to score.
Latest on Sportstar
- IND vs AUS LIVE Score, WTC Final 2023: Will Rohit play in 50th Test for India vs Australia today? Toss, Playing XI, Dream11 prediction
- India vs Netherlands, FIH Pro League 2022-23, June 7: Preview, head-to-head, live streaming info
- WTC final 2023: Kishan or Bharat as India wicketkeeper? Farokh Engineer weighs in
- WTC Final 2023: Oval pitch report; India, Australia playing record; key stats
- India vs Australia head-to-head in Tests: All the stats and records you need to know ahead of WTC Final 2023