Espanyol players extend contracts beyond June 30

First-team players and staff members will also take a 19 per cent pay cut if the 2019-20 season does not restart, Espanyol said in a statement.

Espanyol striker Wu Lei is the only Chinese playing in one of Europe's five top leagues, having moved to Espanyol from Shanghai SIPG in January last year.

The pay cut will drop from 19 to four percent of their annual salary if the La Liga season does resume.   -  Getty Images

La Liga struggler Espanyol announced on Monday the club had reached an agreement with a number of players to extend their expiring contracts beyond June 30, with the season on hold due to the coronavirus crisis.

First-team players and staff members will also take a 19 per cent pay cut if the 2019-20 season does not restart, the league's bottom club said in a statement.

The reduction will drop to four percent of their annual salary if the campaign does resume.

Nine players including goalkeeper Diego Lopez and Argentine striker Jonathan Calleri, whose deals were to run out at the end of June “have accepted to extend their contract until the actual end of the season”, the club added.

The Spanish league has been suspended since March 12. La Liga president Javier Tebas has estimated a cancellation of the season would cost clubs around a billion euros ($1.08 billion).

Spain's health minister said on Sunday it would be “imprudent” to promise the season would restart before the summer.

On March 27, the Barcelona-based side announced a plan to apply temporary pay cuts as a result of the economic impact of the pandemic.

Support Sportstar


Dear Reader,

Support our journalism — where text and pictures intermingle so seamlessly — and help us scale up your experience as the world changes around us. Your contribution is vital to our brand of uninfluenced, boots-on-the-ground reportage that’s worth your while. Clickbait sensationalism is not for us, but editorial independence is — we owe it to you.

  Dugout videos