Real Madrid slumped to a shock second defeat of the Liga season as Girona staged a thrilling comeback to win 2-1 at Estadi Montilivi on Sunday.
Two goals in the space of four second-half minutes overturned Isco's opener as the host claimed one of the most famous victories in its 87-year history.
Played against a tense political backdrop in Catalonia, Girona started brightly as its intensity and enthusiasm appeared to unsettle the champion.
Zinedine Zidane's side looked to have calmed the storm when Spain midfielder Isco gave it a 1-0 lead at the break, but significant cracks in defence were soon pried open by the promoted side.
Cristhian Stuani equalised with his fifth league goal of the season before attacking midfielder Portu put Girona within touching distance of a victory in the side's first ever competitive clash against Los Blancos.
And Pablo Machin's men held on to end a three-match losing run at home in La Liga in improbable fashion, leaving the visitor eight points off leader Barcelona after just 10 matches.
Zidane recalled a host of first-team stars who sat out the midweek Copa del Rey win at Fuenlabrada, as only Kiko Casilla and teenager Achraf Hakimi held their places.
Girona was hardly overawed and went agonisingly close to a shock lead when Pablo Maffeo's curling effort came back off the left upright.
The host's frustration was immediately compounded by a blistering Madrid counter-attack. Goalkeeper Bono spilled Cristiano Ronaldo's dipping shot at the end of the move, enabling Isco to bury the close-range rebound for a 12th-minute lead.
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 4: TN 162 all-out vs Baroda; Khajuria falls after ton vs Delhi; Mumbai closes in on win vs Pondicherry
- Pakistan players told to put country before franchise leagues under new team director Hafeez
- Barca has shown ‘winning mentality’ in Champions League, says Xavi
- S.Korea suspend striker Hwang Ui-jo over sex video investigation
- Liverpool set to clinch place in Europa League knockouts