Kylian Mbappe joining Real Madrid is "just a question of time" according to Jerome Rothen, who claims the Paris Saint-Germain star was set for the La Liga giant prior to the coronavirus pandemic.
Mbappe continues to be linked with a blockbuster move to Madrid, where head coach Zinedine Zidane has made no secret of his admiration for the France international forward.
The 21-year-old, who swapped Monaco for French rival PSG on an initial loan deal in 2017, is contracted until 2022 but Mbappe is no closer to committing his future to the Ligue 1 champion despite the club's best efforts.
Former PSG midfielder Rothen said Mbappe almost signed for Madrid before the coronavirus crisis – which has claimed more than 108,700 lives globally – wreaked havoc on sport and society.
"I know from club sources that a deal to take Kylian Mbappe to Real Madrid was almost done," Rothen, who won two titles during his six years at PSG, told Radio Montecarlo .
"But with what has been happening, I'm sure that Mbappe's arrival at Real Madrid will be postponed."
Rothen added: "There is no way that Mbappe will extend his contract with PSG.
"They will have an agreement between them in place because PSG agreed to let him go this summer. In my opinion, it's just a question of time."
Prior to coronavirus halting Ligue 1 and sport across the world, Mbappe had scored 18 league goals and 30 across all competitions for PSG in 2019-20.
- Yuzvendra Chahal shines on County Championship debut for Kent
- Rohit, Kohli become fastest pair to complete 5000 ODI partnership runs
- India vs Sri Lanka LIVE Score, Asia Cup 2023 Super 4: Wellalage gets Gill in first ball of spell; IND vs SL match updates
- Asian Games Street Fighter athlete Mayank Prajapati and eFootball star Hemanth Kommu conquer NESC qualifiers
- IND vs SL: Rohit Sharma completes 10000 ODI runs, second-fastest after Kohli