LaLiga players could take strike action over a deal to hold Spanish top-flight matches overseas for the first time. Last week, LaLiga announced it was partnering with sports and entertainment company Relevent for a 15-year deal pitting two top Spanish teams together in the United States once a season.
It would represent the first time a LaLiga match would be played overseas and players are not ready to accept the terms of the agreement.
Stars including Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos and Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets were reportedly present as the Spanish Footballers' Association (AFE) met on Wednesday to discuss the proposals.
READ: Cillessen injured in Barcelona training
"The players are outraged, very surprised, and are all against it. It's unanimous. The players don't want to play overseas. Things have to be done in a more coherent way and with common sense," said AFE president David Aganzo.
"A decision of this magnitude, that affects players, referees and fans, was taken unilaterally and is a lack of respect. I have information that there are certain clubs that are in favour [of strike action] and others against this, but I represent the players."
"We need to sort this out with the union, and we will tell them all of our problems. If, from then on and after a few days, they don't answer, then we will have to solve the situation."
ALSO READ: Real Madrid warned it must pay Rodrigo's €120m release clause
"We are going to try to see that it doesn't reach that extreme. But, we are willing to go right to the last option if it is necessary."
Aganzo went on to say the deal struck with Relevent - the firm behind pre-season tournament the International Champions Cup - was done without consulting players and has not taken into consideration LaLiga's busy schedule.
"This agreement that LaLiga has reached without consulting anyone shows a lack of respect. It's not just the game as such, in terms of health and travel, it just makes no sense to have a game played in the United States and have one team have to give up a home game," added Aganzo.
"It cannot be that a person takes a decision of a 15-year agreement, which affects many people and without consulting. We are fed up with not being valued."
Latest on Sportstar
- One of my best matches, says Alcaraz after French Open masterclass
- Former France captain Henry recalled for Women’s FIFA World Cup 2023
- IND vs AUS Dream 11 prediction, WTC Final 2023: India vs Australia Playing 11 updates, fantasy picks, pitch report, squads
- PGA Tour, LIV Golf merge to end golf’s ‘civil war’
- Spanish rider dies at Isle of Man TT races