Rayo Vallecano’s Jozabed Sanchez scored at both ends as they played out a 1-1 draw at Getafe on Monday.
Though both clubs are hovering perilously close to the drop zone, neither of the suburban Madrid sides showed any ambition on a frigid evening at the Alfonso Perez Coliseum on Monday.
Rayo, the winner in seven of their eight La Liga matches against Getafe, dominated possession for the first 15 minutes and enjoyed an early scoring chance, but home side goalkeeper Vicente Guaita stopped Roberto Trashorras’ strike in the sixth minute.
The initiative then passed to Getafe.
Victor Ramirez’s long-distance volley went just wide of the Rayo net, while visiting keeper Juan Carlos turned aside a free-kick from Alvaro Vazquez and Carlos Vigaray misfired after making an impressive charge down the right side.
Getafe, to the relief of its fans, picked up the pace in the second half, setting the stage for the first of Jozabed’s two goals.
The Rayo attacker ended up knocking Victor Rodriguez’s cross into his own net in the 58th minute.
Stunned into action, the visitors began pressing and the effort paid off, as Getafe defender Carlos Vigaray’s carelessly hand-balled to concede a penalty.
While Guaita stopped the kick from Trashorras, Jozabed was there to pounce on the rebound and redeem his earlier mistake with the equaliser in the 72nd minute.
The outcome leaves Rayo Vallecano 13th in the table, with 14 points from 12 matches. Getafe, meanwhile, sit in 16th with 11 points.
- RCBW vs GGW WPL 2024 Live Score Updates: Smriti falls, RCB needs 108 runs to win vs GG, Live Streaming Info
- ISL 2023-24: Punjab brushes Hyderabad FC aside, continues winning streak after resumption of season
- ISL 2023-24: FC Goa files complaint after Mumbai City analyst caught spying at training session
- Premier League: Brighton suffers blow as Mitoma likely to miss rest of season with injury
- I want to be a world champion some day: Anmol Kharb after Asian Badminton Team Championships triumph