Santiago Solari defended his decision to substitute Toni Kroos early in the second half of Real Madrid's 1-0 Clasico loss to Barcelona.
Despite Barca enjoying the greater share of possession, Solari replaced Germany international Kroos with 20-year-old midfielder Federico Valverde in the 55th minute.
READ | La Liga champion 10 points clear after Clasico win
Madrid was unable to find a route back into the match after Ivan Rakitic's first-half opener and fell to a defeat that leaves the side 12 points behind LaLiga leader Barca.
When asked about his decision to withdraw Kroos, Solari suggested that new faces are wanted at the Santiago Bernabeu.
"Kroos is like the rest of the players, they all tried their best," he said.
"Valverde is a young player taking his first steps in the game, like Vinicius [Junior], [Sergio] Reguilon, [Alvaro] Odriozola, who are the future of the club."
He added to Movistar : "Anybody can be in the starting line-up. With Valverde we were looking for freshness.
"The young players are pushing. People want to see new players, it happens in football and in life."
Gareth Bale was selected ahead of Lucas Vazquez but had a disappointing outing and was whistled off when he made way for Marco Asensio in the 61st minute.
READ | Booed Bale's best position still a mystery, says Mijatovic
"I think Bale has done a lot of things for the club and a lot of great things and everyone deserves respect, but the crowd are tremendous," said Solari.
"He tried, like everyone else. We played as a team. If there was something we did well it was playing together, attacking together and defending together."
Latest on Sportstar
- West Ham beats Fiorentina 2-1 to win Europa Conference League title
- HIGHLIGHTS - FIO 1-2 WHU, UEFA Europa Conference League: Bowen late goal helps West Ham clinch title
- NED 4-1 IND highlights, FIH Pro League: Telgenkamp brace and goals by Burkhardt, Reyenga guide the Dutch to victory
- FIH Pro League 2022-23: India fails to regain top spot after 4-1 loss against Netherlands
- Lionel Messi: I am joining Inter Miami