League Cup roundup: Man City and Liverpool through but Everton knocked out

A brace from Riyad Mahrez helped defending champion Manchester City thrash League One side Wycombe Wanderers 6-1 on Tuesday to progress to the fourth round.

Published : Sep 22, 2021 07:16 IST , MANCHESTER

Manchester City's Riyad Mahrez scored twice as the holder moved into the League Cup fourth round with a 6-1 home win over League One side (third tier) Wycombe Wanderers on Tuesday.

Liverpool also progressed without trouble by winning 3-0 at Norwich City in its all-Premier League tie with Japanese forward Takumi Minamino on target twice and Divock Origi also scoring.

But with most top flight teams making several changes from the first-choice line-ups, there were Premier League casualties with Everton and Watford knocked out by lower league opponents.

Brandon Hanlan gave Wycombe a shock lead at Manchester City's Etihad Stadium in the 22nd minute but the host took a 3-1 lead by halftime with goals from Kevin De Bruyne, Mahrez and Phil Foden before running away with the game in the second half.

City's rout was completed when 19-year-old Cole Palmer scored its sixth, his first goal for the club, on a night when manager Pep Guardiola gave debuts to five young products of the club's academy.

READ MORE: Man Utd's Telles to make injury return in League Cup, says Solskjaer

"I am just going to say thank you very much to all the Academy... They have many good players, not just one or two. All of them are incredibly well-educated people. Thanks to their families. We have talented players. We can count on them absolutely," said Guardiola.

Top flight side Brentford's Finnish forward Marcus Forss scored four as it crushed League Two (fourth tier) bottom side Oldham Athletic 7-0 in its third round tie.

Burnley's Jay Rodriguez also claimed four goals in his Premier League team's 4-1 victory over League Two's Rochdale at Turf Moor.

Everton lost 8-7 in a penalty shootout at Queens Park Rangers after the game ended 2-2 following 90 minutes.

Charlie Austin had scored twice for QPR to put them 2-1 up before Andros Townsend's 47th minute equaliser for Everton.

In the shootout, QPR keeper Seny Dieng pushed a Tom Davies spot-kick onto the post and Rangers' defender Jimmy Dunne converted the decisive penalty.

Watford was knocked out by Championship side (second-tier) Stoke City, losing 3-1 at Vicarage Road.

Top flight's Southampton needed penalties to beat Championship side Sheffield United 4-2 after that game ended 2-2 and Leeds United also cut it fine, surviving a shootout at Fulham to triumph 6-5 following a goalless draw.

There is no extra time in the League Cup with ties going straight to penalties if they are drawn after 90 minutes.

The remainder of the third-round ties will be played on Wednesday.

Sign in to unlock all user benefits
  • Get notified on top games and events
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign up / manage to our newsletters with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early bird access to discounts & offers to our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide to our community guidelines for posting your comment