Ezgjan Alioski rekindled the rivalry between Leeds United and Manchester United by claiming the Championship leader could beat Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's under-achieving side.
As Leeds prepares to face Arsenal in the FA Cup third round on Monday, Alioski was asked whether it could announce itself to the Premier League by beating a team which triumphed over the Red Devils 2-0 on New Year's Day.
The Macedonia international's response would have been music to the ears of the Leeds faithful, and it came 10 years and a day after the club - then in League One - claimed a famous 1-0 FA Cup victory at Old Trafford.
Alioski told reporters that Arteta's achievement in beating Solskjaer's men left him undaunted, saying: "Of course, I saw the result against Manchester United.
"But this Manchester United from this year, even we can beat them."
Alioski said a return to the Premier League after a 16-year absence would restore Leeds' status as one of England's top clubs and underlined his team-mates' commitment to the philosophy of head coach Marcelo Bielsa.
The former Argentina, Chile and Marseille boss has delivered the most attractive football Elland Road has enjoyed since the club was in the Champions League, and Alioski attributed the transformation to the 64-year-old.
"If we were in the Premier League, Leeds would be one of the biggest clubs," Alioski opined. "The only difference is they [Arsenal] are in the Premier League and we are in the Championship.
"We are going to go there to play this football that Marcelo Bielsa wants. Since he has arrived, Marcelo Bielsa has let Leeds dream again.
"I arrived two-and-a-half years ago. Mostly the same team is here, Marcelo Bielsa kept the same team and everyone can see what Leeds changed and how we improved with him."
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Anubhav takes six wickets as Madhya Pradesh beats Andhra to enter semifinal
- WPL 2024: RCB faces Gujarat Giants, eyes second straight win in front of home fans
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Mulani, Deshpande strike as Mumbai takes first-innings lead against Baroda on Day 3
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Andhra inches closer to historic win against Madhya Pradesh on Day 3
- Ranji Trophy Highlights, Day 4 Quarterfinal updates: MP beats Andhra by 4 runs; Karnataka loses one wicket in 371-run chase