Megan Rapinoe won the women's Ballon d’Or in Paris on Monday. Norway’s Ada Hegerberg won it in 2018 but did not retain her title after missing the World Cup. Rapinoe, however, didn't attend the event and gave her acceptance speech through a pre-recorded video.
Among the stars of that tournament nominated were England’s Lucy Bronze, Netherlands striker Vivianne Miedema, Australia’s Sam Kerr and the USA trio of Alex Morgan, Rose Lavelle and Tobin Heath.
However Rapinoe, the 34-year-old feminist icon and outspoken critic of US President Donald Trump, added this honour to those of Golden Boot winner for top scorer and Golden Ball for best player at the World Cup.
Even her supposed rivals seemed to be have been rooting for her.
“She does lots of things off the pitch, but I think she is the favourite to win the Ballon d’Or mainly down to her performances during the World Cup,” Bronze told France Football.
- India vs South Korea LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023 hockey semis: IND leads 5-3 vs KOR in fourth-quarter
- India vs Thailand Kabaddi Highlights, Asian Games 2023: IND 54 - 22 THA in Women’s Group A, India seals semis spot
- Asian Games 2023: Lovlina Borgohain wins boxing silver in women’s 75kg
- Asian Games 2023 Live Updates, October 4: Lovlina gets silver in 75kg boxing, IND 4-3 KOR in hockey semifinal; Jyothi-Ojas bag archery gold
- World Cup 2023: New Zealand team preview, squad, key players, form and prediction