Niklas Sule is determined to prove Uli Hoeness wrong as the injured defender aims to recover full fitness in time for Euro 2020.
The Bayern Munich centre-back tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during a Bundesliga game in October.
The serious injury was expected to end Sule's season and former Bayern president Hoeness told him to forget about representing Germany at the Euros. But the 24-year-old said his rehabilitation is going well and could lead to an early comeback.
"The knee's fine, I'm ahead in the healing process. That speaks to the good work of the surgeon," Sule told reporters at a Bayern fan event.
"For me, the European Championship is clearly the goal and I assume that I can and will do it.
"I work for it every day. I hope to return to the team in March or April and then it's absolutely within feasible range. It's a tough journey but I know I can do it."
Asked about the likelihood of achieving his target, Sule added: "For my part, 100 percent."
Sule made his international debut in 2016 and has gone on to win 24 caps for Germany.
Joachim Low's men will face holder Portugal and World Cup winner France in a tough Group F at next year's tournament.
- India vs Chinese Taipei, Live Score Volleyball Asian Games: IND 2-0 TPE; India wins second set 25-22 - Hangzhou 2022 updates
- Pakistan ODI World Cup 2023 squad announced, Naseem Shah misses out
- IND vs AUS Live Score 1st ODI: India wins toss and opts to bowl against Australia
- IND vs AUS Live Toss Updates, 1st ODI: KL Rahul wins toss, India to bowl
- Hyderabad unlikely to host Formula E race in 2024