The Netherlands left first choice goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen out of its European Championship squad after he tested positive for COVID-19 with coach Frank de Boer not prepared to risk how long he needs to recover.
Cillessen tested positive in a control test last week and has gone into self-isolation, missing out the week-long training camp in Portugal where the Dutch is preparing for its Group C matches against Austria, North Macedonia and Ukraine.
De Boer told Cillessen, who plays for Valencia in La Liga, on Tuesday that he could not include the 32-year-old in the final selection list, which had to be submitted to UEFA by midnight.
"I informed Jasper of my decision this morning. Let me start by saying that I find this incredibly sad for Jasper but I had to take the plunge," said De Boer in a statement.
"He has tested positive for corona and as a result missed an important part of the preparation. We don't know how long it will take until he is 100 per cent fit again. I don't want to take any chances in that regard.
"We are on the eve of a European Championship and I want certainty, even if I understand how painful it is Jasper."
AZ Alkmaar goalkeeper Marco Bizot, who had previously been added to the training camp so that the Dutch could have an extra goalkeeper on hand, is now part of the official squad.
Tim Krul (Norwich City) and Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax Amsterdam) are the two other goalkeepers in the squad.
- India vs Singapore hockey LIVE score, Asian Games 2023 updates: Preview, stats; Match to begin at 6:30am IST
- Shooting LIVE SCORE Asian Games: India’s eyes third gold; Divyansh Singh, Manu Bhaker, Rhythm Sangwan among others in action - Hangzhou 2022 updates
- Asian Games 2023, Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: Manu Bhaker in action in 25m Pistol, Bhavani Devi begins her campaign, India vs Singapore in men’s hockey
- Asian Games 2023 schedule today, September 26: Indians in action, events, LIVE streaming details, timings in IST
- Flintoff back to old self after horror crash: Trescothick