Inter Milan is still pursuing defensive reinforcements as it looks to build on a strong start to its Serie A campaign when it faces its former coach Claudio Ranieri and his Cagliari side on Monday.
Simone Inzaghi’s Inter began the season by beating Monza 2-0, with Lautaro Martinez scoring both goals, but its opponents failed to make the most of gaps in the Inter defence and were off target with their finishing when opportunities arose.
Inzaghi is hoping to plug those gaps by recruiting Benjamin Pavard from Bayern Munich, but it is unclear whether it can get a deal over the line in time for the France international to line up against Cagliari.
“The club is working hard, as we still need something to complete the squad, and it is our duty to make the fans happy,” Inzaghi said.
The Sardinian newcomers are coached by Ranieri, who led Inter for almost a season from 2011-12.
Ranieri led Cagliari to promotion from Serie B and it began the season with a 0-0 draw at Torino.
Last season’s runners-up Lazio will face promoted Genoa on Sunday after Maurizio Sarri’s side suffered a 2-1 loss at Lecce, who scored two late goals, in its opener.
After the match, Sarri admitted that his side lacked the defensive capabilities to control the match. “It’s hard to predict something like this. Games in the preseason don’t count much as the target is to get in shape for competitive matches.”
Juventus will host Bologna on Sunday, with coach Massimiliano Allegri having an almost complete squad for the first match of the season at Allianz Arena.
When the sides met in Turin last season, it ended in a 3-0 win for Allegri’s side and Juventus is unbeaten in its last 22 Serie A games against Bologna.
On Saturday, AS Roma visits Hellas Verona, welcoming back pivotal striker Paulo Dybala and midfielder Lorenzo Pellegrini from suspension.
AC Milan will look to build on its impressive start when it hosts Torino on Saturday after new signing Christian Pulisic got off the mark when he found the net in Milan’s 2-0 win at Bologna.
Olivier Giroud was the other scorer and he netted the only goal in Milan’s win over Torino last season at the San Siro.
Champions Napoli survived an early scare to wrap up three points in its opener at Frosinone and will continue its Scudetto defence with a home game against Sassuolo on Sunday.
Khvicha Kvaratskhelia missed Napoli’s first game but is expected to return.
- AFC Champions League 2023-24: Ronaldo’s Al-Nassr secures knockout stage berth with draw against Persepolis
- Al Nassr vs Persepolis Highlights, AFC Champions League 2023-24: NAS 0-0 PER, Ronaldo’s 10 man team moves to round of 16 with a draw
- AFC Champions League points table LIVE: Al-Nassr vs Persepolis, Ronaldo’s side leading in Group E, enters round of 16
- ISL 2023-24: Super sub Victor Rodriguez brings three points home for FC Goa against Jamshedpur FC as it goes on top of the table
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Odisha FC Highlights, AFC Cup: MBSG 2-5 OFC, Juggernauts beat Mariners to stay second