Sporting Clube de Goa will be desperately looking to collect full points when it locks horns with Aizawl FC in the I-League match here at the Nehru Stadium, Fatorda, tomorrow.
Sporting Clube de Goa has not won a match in its last five outings and is now fighting to avoid relegation. Even Aizawl FC is in the same boat.
Sporting coach Maetus Costa said while his team performed well in most of the matches, it lacked in finishing and that resulted in drop in points. “Now that we have four matches remaining, we need to win them. During the break, we have worked on our mistakes and the boys are now ready to move on and win matches. Our first priority is to win tomorrow against Aizawl, which is another team fighting to avoid relegation.
“Now that we have done our home work, the boys are ready to take on Aizawl and hopefully collect full points,” said the coach.
Sporting’s star striker Odafe Okalie has picked up an injury and is unlikely to play tomorrow. Charles will most probably start tomorrow in his absence.
Aizawl coach Johar Das, meanwhile, is optimistic that his team can come out of relegation. “We have beaten Mohun Bagan, the top team in fray for the title and there is no doubt we can beat any team in this tournament. The last time we met Sporting at home, we lost 2-3 even after dominating the match. But with Sporting not doing well in its home ground and with Odafe unlikely to play tomorrow, we have good chance to win,” said Das.
The coach, however, said that his players might find it difficult to play under hot and humid conditions here. “A factor which is going to go against us is the humidity, as we will be playing in the afternoon under the hot sun, which we are not used to. Back home it is cool. But our boys are ready to give their best and overcome it and hopefully win tomorrow that will help us to avoid relegation,” said Das.
- Bahrain Grand Prix: F1 champion Verstappen of Red Bull on pole for season-opener
- Ranji Trophy semifinal: Chandrakant Pandit eyes victory against former side as Vidarbha, Madhya Pradesh face off
- German Open 2024: Jolly-Gayatri bow out of quarterfinals, lose to Chinese pair of Jing-Min
- Mohun Bagan vs Jamshedpur FC highlights, MBSG 3-0 JFC, ISL 2023-24: Sadiku, Cummings, Petratos goals guide Mariners to comfortable win
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant cruises to win against Jamshedpur FC