Chelsea's fight to keep hold of Callum Hudson-Odoi gets tougher as Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic says the teenage winger is a player the club "absolutely wants to sign".
Hudson-Odoi has started Chelsea's last two games but is reportedly keen to leave Stamford Bridge to further his burgeoning career. Bayern is believed to have met Chelsea's asking price of £35 million and, with the 18-year-old unwilling to discuss a new contract, a move is starting to inevitable during the January transfer window.
Salihamidzic told reporters during Bayern's winter training camp in Doha: "He's a very interesting player that we absolutely want to sign.
"He has qualities that suit our game. He's a strong dribbler, fast, and carries a goal threat."
Bayern is on the look-out for wingers with Arjen Robben confirming he will leave at the end of the season and Salihamidzic admitting on Wednesday "it's probably going to be Franck [Ribery's] last year".
Hudson-Odoi would certainly fill one of those voids and, if he does move, would continue the trend of young English players thriving in the Bundesliga. Jadon Sancho and Reiss Nelson, former England Under-17 team-mates of Hudson-Odoi, have made a huge impression this season at Borussia Dortmund and Hoffenheim respectively.
Speaking after Tuesday's first-leg defeat to Tottenham in the EFL Cup semi-finals, Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri insisted Hudson-Odoi had not been distracted by the speculation.
- DC-W vs GG-W live score, WPL 2024: Can Gujarat Giants open its winning account today against dominant Delhi?; Toss at 7 PM
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 semifinals: Mantri helps Madhya Pradesh wrest control against Vidarbha on Day 2
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 semifinals: Tamil Nadu skipper Sai Kishore joins elite 50-wicket club, earns high praise from Shardul Thakur
- IPL 2024: Gujarat Titans batter Robin Minz suffers minor bike accident
- World Indoor Championships 2024: LaFond flies to Dominica’s first world athletics gold medal