German umpire Ben Goentgen was hit on the face off a penalty corner strike in the FIH Men’s World Cup quarterfinal match between Netherlands and South Korea on Wednesday.
Goentgen was immediately taken off the field for medical attention.
The incident happened in the 28th minute when South Korean Jang Jonghyun’s stinging drag flick got deflected from a Netherlands player’s stick and struck the face of Goentgen, who was standing a few meters away from the goal post.
Goentgen fell down in pain while his co-umpire Gareth Greenfield of New Zealand and medical staff of the tournament organisers rushed to help him.
The injured umpire held his face with one hand and rushed out of the field along with the medical staff.
He was later replaced by reserve umpire Raghu Prasad of India.
- Shooting LIVE SCORE Asian Games 2023: Sift Kaur, Ashi near individual medals in 50m Rifle 3p; India wins gold in 25m women’s pistol team, silver in 50m Rifle 3p women’s team event - Hangzhou 2022 updates
- Asian Games 2023, September 27 Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: Sift Kaur, Ashi leading in individual final after 50m rifle 3p team silver; Manu, Esha and Rhythm win 25m pistol team gold
- India vs Singapore women’s hockey LIVE score, Asian Games 2023 updates: Preview, stats, streaming info; Match begins at 10:15am IST
- Newcastle hosts Man City in League Cup; Madrid looks to bounce back against Las Palmas
- ICC ODI World Cup 2023 squads: Full players list of all 10 teams