Brazilian GP stays in Sao Paulo until 2025

Formula One had been negotiating moving the grand prix to Rio de Janeiro, where a proposed new circuit has yet to be built.

The move to Rio De Janeiro was controversial for environmental reasons, with Lewis Hamilton (in picture at Interlagos) saying he would be against cutting down forest to build a circuit   -  Getty Images

Brazil's Interlagos circuit will stay on the Formula One calendar until 2025 with the race officially renamed the Grand Prix of Sao Paulo, the sport announced on Wednesday.

Next year's race in Sao Paulo is scheduled for Nov. 14.

Brasil Motorsport, owned by investment entities controlled by Abu Dhabi state fund Mubadala, will take over as the new promoter.

Formula One said Mubadala had appointed senior executive Alan Adler to lead the partnership.

This year's race was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and Formula One had been negotiating moving the grand prix to Rio de Janeiro, where a proposed new circuit has yet to be built.

That plan was controversial for environmental reasons, with six times world champion Lewis Hamilton saying he would be against cutting down forest to build a circuit.

READ: Brazilian GP: Mad Max, first podiums and Sao Paolo's last hurrah

"We are pleased to announce the city of Sao Paulo will continue to host the Brazilian Grand Prix until 2025 and look forward to working with our new promoter in the years ahead," said F1's outgoing chief executive Chase Carey in a statement.

"Brazil is a very important market for Formula One with devoted fans and a long history in the sport."

The record 23-race 2021 calendar is due to start in Australia on March 21 and end in Abu Dhabi on Dec. 5 with a new night race in Saudi Arabia on Nov. 28.

The Spanish Grand Prix remains subject to contract on May 9, but is expected to be confirmed soon, with one slot still to be filled on April 25 where Vietnam's postponed inaugural grand prix would have been.

  Dugout videos