Formula One: Silverstone to stage double header this season

Silverstone managing director Stuart Pringle said an agreement had been reached to hold the races at the central England circuit.

Silverstone is set to stage two races this season.   -  Getty Images

Formula One and Silverstone have agreed a deal in principle for a double header to be staged behind closed doors at the famous British circuit this season.

It was reported this week that the 2020 British Grand Prix was under threat, with F1 and Silverstone in a financial stand-off amid the coronavirus crisis.

READ | F1: Belgian GP could be held behind closed doors in August

Doubts were also raised about races going ahead at the Northamptonshire track after the government announced that people arriving in the United Kingdom must spend a fortnight in quarantine, although there would be limited exceptions to that rule.

A revised schedule for a season that has not been able to get under way is still being worked on, but there was positive news coming out of Silverstone on Friday.

Silverstone managing director Stuart Pringle said: "I am delighted to confirm that Silverstone and Formula 1 have reached an agreement in principle to host two races behind closed doors this summer.

"However, these races will be subject to Government approval, as our priority is the safety of all involved and strict compliance with COVID-19 regulations.

"I would like to thank all our fans who have been so supportive throughout this and to assure them we are determined to do all we can to help Formula 1 put on a show this summer."

READ | Formula One grid in 2021: What we know so far

July 26 and August 2 could be the dates for back-to-back races at Silverstone after the season has finally got under way with two rounds in Austria, also yet to be confirmed.

It is also hoped that a deal for the Belgian Grand Prix to go ahead without spectators on August 30 will be struck after Spa-Francorchamps was given government approval.

  Dugout videos