The Indian Olympic Association has co-opted Adille Sumariwalla as the President of the association till fresh elections are held, on Saturday.
In a letter addressed to the International Olympic Committee, Sumariwalla wrote, “ The erstwhile President of the IOA, Dr. Narinder Dhruv Batra, resigned from the post of President, IOA on July 18 due to personal reasons, which led to a vacancy for the post of President, IOA. Thereafter, 18 Executive Members out of 31, i.e., majority members, in accordance with Clause 11.1.5 of the IOA Constitution, co-opted the undersigned to fill the vacancy for the post of President, IOA.”
Batra had resigned from IOA and FIH in two separate hand-written notes on July 18. In his letter to the IOA, Batra wrote: “Due to personal reasons, I submit my resignation from the post of president for which I was elected in 2017. Thank you for your support and guidance”
Batra had ceased to be President of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) when the Delhi High Court, on May 25, struck down the post of ‘Life member’ in Hockey India, courtesy which he had contested the IOA elections and won back in 2017.
Batra’s IOC membership was linked to the IOA presidency but his resignation from FIH had come as surprise since in May he had said that he wants to focus on his job FIH.
- Live Score IND vs WI 2nd Test, Day 4: Kishan scores fifty; India sets West Indies 365-run target
- Hopman Cup: Croatia downs Switzerland to clinch title
- Jonas Vingegaard wins second successive Tour de France
- Wrestling trials for Asian Games: Upsets galore show past has little influence on the present
- Deodhar Trophy: Tournament favourite South Zone looks to open campaign on a high against North Zone