The Supreme Court of India ordered Status Quo with respect to Delhi High Court’s order to place the Indian Olympic Association under a Committee of Administrators (CoA) after its President Narinder Batra was relieved off his duties in May.
Mr. Anil Khanna, senior vice-president had been the acting President since.
A bench comprising Chief Justice of India NV Ramana and Justice CT Ravikumar passed the order on an urgent mentioning made by the IOA.
"It is better that a legitimate body represents the cause of sportspersons than one simply masquerading as the real champion of Indian sports. Fairness and legitimacy need to imbue all public affairs. Recalcitrant entities which defy adherence to rules of the game, while continuing to unjustly enjoy government's largesse and patronage, must be called-out," the Delhi High Court had said two days ago.
The Solicitor General of India Tushar Mehta, appearing for the Government of India, stated that it was a "sensitive national matter" as at an international level, appointment of COA was seen as outside interference and thus, could lead to the suspension of IOA.
He cited the example of suspension of the All India Football Federation by the FIFA.
"According to their (International Olympic Committee) rules, if any national body is governed by a non elected body, it is seen as outside interference. The moment Committee of Administrators take over, 99% chance is that India will get suspended from Olympics. This is a matter of national prestige", the SG submitted.
We ask parties to maintain status-quo…it is made clear that charge has not been handed over. List it before the appropriate bench on Monday.”
The Supreme Court has scheduled the matter for further hearing on August 22.
- Djokovic: 'I take responsibility' for Serbia defeat
- IPL 2024 Retention Day Live Updates: Full list of retained, released, traded players; KL Rahul stays at LSG; will Hardik Pandya return to Mumbai Indians?
- China Masters 2023 final LIVE Score: Satwik-Chirag wins second game 21-18 to take match in final game vs World no. 1 Liang-Chang
- La Liga: Griezmann to the rescue as Atletico grab win against Mallorca
- Which players can make it to the India squad for AFC Asian Cup 2023?