Indian Olympic Association’s proposal to bid to host the 132nd session of the International Olympic Committee in 2019 in the National Capital Region has been met with approval - in principle - by the Sports Ministry. The request was put in by the IOA president N. Ramachandran.
Saying that the union government was “pleased to accord in principle approval for bidding” to host the IOC session, the letter to the IOA president stated that it was “subject to requisite approvals from Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) for political clearance and Ministry for Home Affairs (MHA) for security clearance and necessary approvals from host city of NCR”.
“This has the approval of Honourable Minister of State (I/C), Youth Affairs & Sports,” the letter from central government’s under secretary A. K. Patro stated.
Earlier, there were media reports that the IOA was keen on hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games after Durban pulled out.
- NBA roundup: LeBron James, Lakers rally with big 4th quarter to stun Clippers 116-112
- NZ vs AUS: Green century steers Australia to 279-9 in first New Zealand Test
- Steve Smith pushes for rule reform, urges intervention on leg-side bouncers
- Sainz has no hard feelings over Hamilton’s Ferrari move
- WPL 2024: Bengaluru welcomes new Women’s Premier League season with restrained eagerness