Seeking to bring in transparency, the Sports Ministry today said the hiring of foreign coaches for various disciplines will be done through open advertisement.
Sports Minister Vijay Goel has approved the proposal which emerged at a meeting he had with senior officers of his Ministry and Sports Authority of India in New Delhi yesterday.
“This will bring more names before the foreign coaches Selection Committee in addition to those suggested by National Sports Federations,” the Ministry said in a statement.
“The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports spends a substantial amount on foreign coaches to prepare Indian athletes for Olympics, Asian Games, Commonwealth Games and other important tournaments.
Keeping this in view, extension to foreign coaches in future will be given on the basis of their performance as assessed by a committee.
“Hiring of foreign coaches is a necessity for training Indian athletes in many sports disciplines at present, but they will be utilised for training Indian coaches so that our dependence on foreign coaches can be reduced in future.
“The contract with foreign coaches will invariably include a component of training of Indian coaches for a certain period.”
- RCB vs UPW Live Score, WPL 2024: Meghana, Richa half-centuries help Royal Challengers Bangalore set Warriorz target of 158
- ISL 2023-24: Injury-hit Kerala Blasters hosts FC Goa as both teams look to regain winning touch
- IND vs ENG Test series: Bazball is not about being arrogant but bringing the best out of team says Joe Root
- ISL 2023-24: Odisha FC and Mohun Bagan SG play out goalless draw; maintain top-of-table excitement
- WFI says wrestling trials for Asian Championships and Olympic qualifier will be held on March 10, 11