Ravi Kumar gave a strong start for the Indian campaign by winning the men’s air rifle bronze medal in the 10th Asian Airgun championship in Japan on Friday.
The 27-year-old Ravi, who is with the Indian Air Force (IAF,) beat compatriot Gagan Narang in a shoot-off to progress to the bronze medal, behind the two Chinese Song Buhan and Cao Yifei. After making the finals in three World Cups this season, including the World Cup Final at home, Ravi was able to reach a medal.
Indian shooters have 'several medal prospects' for Tokyo 2020, says Bindra
Deepak Kumar finished fifth, as he was pipped by 0.3 point by Ravi himself. The trio, however, was able to win the team silver behind China, while Japan took the bronze. In fact, two other Indian teams in the same event, the women and the junior men, also bagged the team silver medals in air rifle to boost
Babuta wins silver
Arjun Babuta won the junior men’s individual silver medal 0.1 point behind Liu Yukun of China who equalled the junior world record of 249.8. Arjun trailed by 0.2 point before the last two shots, and the Chinese held on to the advantage to nose ahead.
Anjum Moudgil missed the women’s bronze medal to Qian Xiu Adele Tan of Siingapore in the shoot-off, after the two had tied on 207.6. Anjum had qualified in the second place with a total of 417.5 in a strong
field. The Chinese swept all the other six individual medals spread over three events that were not won by India or Singapore.
Latest on Sportstar
- French Open: ‘I feel 17 again’, says Svitolina after entering quarterfinals
- Asian U20 Athletics Championship: Shivam bags silver in javelin throw; Shakeel wins bronze in 800m
- 255-member strong contingent to represent India at Special Olympics World Summer Games
- Barcelona not giving up hope of bringing Lionel Messi back to Spanish football
- Indian sports news wrap, June 5