Aryan Nehra of Gujarat broke the men’s 800m freestyle national record on day 2 of the National Swimming Championship in Hyderabad on Monday.
Hashika Ramachandra from Karnataka also broke the national record in the women’s 200m medley with a time of 2:21.15. The previous record of 2:23.62 was set by Richa Mishra in 2010.
The women’s 100m freestyle national record was broken by Anannya Nayak from Maharashtra with a time of 0:57.31, beating Shivangi Sharma’s previous record of 0:57.73.
Aryan, who swam a timing of 8:01.81 broke the record set by Kushagra Rawat in Rajkot in 2021 to win gold.
He had also broken the national record for the men’s 400m freestyle during day 1 of the championships on Sunday.
Aryan has already booked his Asian Games 2022 and World Championships 2023 spot for the men’s 800m and 1500m freestyle.
S. Siva of Karnataka clinched gold in the men’s 200m medley with a timing of 02:06.08 but could not beat his own national record time of 2:05.64, which he set in 2022.
In the mixed 4x100m freestyle, Karnataka took first place with a time of 3:42.92 ahead of Railways (3:43.02) and Maharashtra (3:44.14). The team comprised of Aneesh S G, Tanish G, Nina V and Shalini R.
Earlier in the day, Maharashtra won gold in the mixed 4x100m medley with a time of 4:06.84, a new record. Railways finished second with a time of 4:07.20 with Karnataka following in third with a time of 4:10.76.
- FIFA U-17 World Cup 2023: France beats Uzbekistan 1-0 to enter semifinal
- Indian sports news wrap, November 25
- Manchester City vs Liverpool MCI 1-0 LIV, Premier League: Second half underway, City leads through Haaland’s 50 PL goal
- ISL 2023-24 points table LIVE: Indian Super League standings in Round 6, East Bengal climbs to seventh
- I-League 2023-24: Shillong Lajong outplays 10-man TRAU FC, climbs to third