In spite of hitting a minor roadblock, ONGC and Indian Oil stayed on course for the title clashes in the men and women sections of the 41st Petroleum inter-unit table tennis tournament at the Indira Gandhi Stadium here on Tuesday.
After the completion of the league, the men’s team’s semifinal line-up left ONGC facing Hindustan Petroleum and Indian Oil up against Oil India.
In the women’s semifinals, defending champion Indian Oil will play Hindustan Petroleum, and ONGC meets Oil India.
On this day, National champion G. Sathiyan and former women’s National champion Mouma Das lost, while Sharath Kamal just about managed to survive.
Sathiyan lost in five sets to Ankur Bhattacharya, and Sharath almost lost to Adarsh Om Chetri in four sets before prevailing in a match that went the distance.
It was clear that Sathiyan and Sharath were keen to use the outing for the biggest battles ahead since they were certain their teams would advance to the knockout phase.
The seasoned Mouma Das also suffered an unexpected straight-set defeat to Munmun Kundu while her team, Oil India, expectedly prevailed over Hindustan Petroleum.
In what was seen as a rehearsal of the women’s team final, Indian Oil packed off ONGC 3-1.
Main results (team championship):
Latest on Sportstar
- Rahane stands at crossroads in his comeback Test
- Ravi Dahiya pulls out of from Bishkek Ranking Series after injury during warmup
- Mbappe targets Ligue 1 scoring record with PSG next season
- Sanjivani Jadhav finishes second in women’s 10,000m at Portland Track Festival
- WTC Final 2023: Cameron Green hopes to bring in Rohit Sharma’s calmness in title clash