It was no disgrace for the fifth-seeded Indian pair of Harmeet Desai and Souymajit Ghosh who had to be satisfied with the silver as the duo lost to the second seeds Ho Kwan Kit and Ng Pak Nam of Korea 12-10, 6-11, 8-11, 9-11 in the final of the ITTF Challenge Polish Open in Czestochowa on Sunday.
The Indian pair, despite winning the first game on extended points, could not match the guile and pace of the Korean duo that went from strength to strength after levelling the score in the second game. The Indians fell short of efforts in the third and fourth in spite of combining well, particularly in the fourth.
It was the first time when Harmeet Desai has appeared in a doubles final of either an ITTF World Tour or ITTF Challenge Series. However, Soumyajit is a past master, having earlier this year reached the World Tour Bulgaria Open doubles final in Panagyurishte, partnering G. Sathiyan, when the pair lost to Japan’s Jin Ueda and Maharu Yoshimura.
Latest on Sportstar
- An Se Young defeats He Bingjiao in straight games, claims Thailand Open title
- WTC Final: Rahane stands at crossroads in his comeback Test
- Ravi Dahiya pulls out of from Bishkek Ranking Series after injury during warmup
- Mbappe targets Ligue 1 scoring record with PSG next season
- Sanjivani Jadhav finishes second in women’s 10,000m at Portland Track Festival