The Indian men’s doubles pair of Sharath Kamal and G. Sathiyan bagged its second International bronze medal in two weeks, by finishing third in the International Table Tennis Federation-World Tour Swedish Open here.
Sharath-Sathiyan pair wins bronze in Belgium Open
After putting it across the English pair of Liam Pitchford and Paul Drinkhall in the pre-quarterfinals 4-11, 10-12, 12-10, 11-8, 11-8 and Aruna Quadri (Nigeria) and Diogo Carvalho of Portugal 11-7, 11-13, 11-8, 11-4 in the quarterfinals, the Indian pair lost to the Hong Kong duo of Kit Kwan Ho and Ting Chun Wong12-10, 11-3, 7-11, 11-4 in the semifnals. The Indian pair had earlier won the bronze in the ITTF-Belgium Open Challenge in the first week of November.
"Both Sathiya and myself paired up for the third time this year. First was at the world championships in Dusseldorf. We have now won medals in Belgium Open and Swedish Open. I am very happy with how things are looking for the Commonwealth Games at Gold Coast. We still need to work on few aspects but we are quite confident that we would win a medal," Sharath Kamal said.
“We are coming together well as a pair. Having defeated England’s Drinkhall and Pitchford in the World championships in May-June this year and again here (Swedish Open), gives us a lot of confidence. We still need to work on more patterns. But no doubt, the twin bronze medals have give us hope to hope for a gold in the Commonwealth Games next year,” said Sathiyan.
- Du Plessis hints at return to international cricket ahead of T20 World Cup
- Manchester United vs Chelsea: Top five Premier League clashes
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant looks to avenge AFC Cup loss against Odisha FC
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Odisha FC LIVE streaming info, ISL 2023-24: When, where to watch; Preview
- WATCH: Bangladesh’s Mushfiqur Rahim out handling the ball in second Test against New Zealand