Spanish tennis player Carla Suarez Navarro said on Tuesday that she will retire from the sport at the end of the 2020 season to focus on “other priorities”.
The 31-year-old has slipped to 55th in the WTA rankings, down from a career-high of sixth in 2016.
“I am beginning to have other priorities and tennis is a very demanding sport that requires a lot of sacrifice,” said Suarez Navarro, who has won $11.58 million in career prize money.
“This last year will be a year with the same expectations, just as intense, just as demanding.”
Suarez Navarro has won two WTA singles titles and lost another nine finals, while she has reached Grand Slam quarterfinals seven times without ever making the last four.
- Chelsea vs Liverpool Carabao Cup 2023-24 final LIVE Updates: CHE 0 - 0 LIV, Salah, Nunez not in match day squad for Liverpool
- Kerala Blasters vs FC Goa LIVE score, KBFC 0-2 FCG, ISL 10: Borges, Yasir goals keep Gaurs ahead in second-half
- Gujarat Giants vs Mumbai Indians Live Score, WPL 2024: Mooney falls, Ismail takes three
- Ranji Trophy quarterfinal: Nitish, Sasikanth breathe new life into Andhra’s hopes of entering semis
- Indian sports wrap, February 25