Elena Rybakina landed her first WTA title with an emphatic win over Patricia Maria Tig in the Bucharest Open final.
The story of qualifier Tig reaching the final against all expectations had provided the tournament's core narrative but she was swept aside 6-2, 6-0 by 20-year-old Rybakina in the final.
Romanian Tig does not have a world ranking and was making her first WTA main draw appearance since 2017 after struggling with multiple injuries as well as giving birth to her daughter in the past year. The 24-year-old beat three seeded players to reach her first final in four years .
But despite playing in front of a home crowd, she found Kazakhstan's Rybakina too much to handle in the title match, losing in an hour and five minutes.
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally LIVE , October 1 - Men’s shooting trap team bags gold; Aditi Ashok wins silver, India 4th with 11 gold, 42 medals
- India vs Korea women’s hockey LIVE Updates, Asian Games 2023: KOR scores as IND trails 1-0 after first-half
- China Open: Sabalenka thrashes Kenin to sail into second round
- Athletics LIVE updates, Asian Games 2023: Tajinderpal in action in shot put at 4:30pm; Amlan qualifies for men’s 200m SF; Nandini fourth, Swapna fifth after javelin throw in women’s heptathlon
- India vs China Badminton LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: IND men’s team eye gold vs CHN; Prannoy to miss final; When & where to watch - Hangzhou updates