India’s top doubles player Rohan Bopanna and his Romanian partner Florin Mergea could not defend their Madrid Open title as they lost the summit clash to Jean-Julien Roger and Horia Tecau, here today.
The sixth seeded defending champions lost the closely fought final 4-6, 6-7 (5) to the third seed Dutch-Romanian combination in one hour and 11 minutes.
It was crucial for Bopanna to win since he was defending 1000 points here. He is striving to re-enter Top 10 in the run-up to Rio Olympic Games so that he can get a direct entry into the prestigious event.
There was little to separate the two pairs in the tight contest. Bopanna and Mergea got only one breakpoint in the opening set which they could not convert while Jean-Julien Roger and Horia Tecau did not miss the one break —opportunity they got.
In the second too, it was very close as there was no break of serve and it had to be decided via tie—breaker, in which the third seeds prevailed.
Another Indian tennis star Sania Mirza had also lost the women’s doubles final with partner Martina Hingis, yesterday.
- NBA roundup: Luka Doncic guides Dallas Mavericks past Phoenix Suns
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 1: ENG 165/5; Root, Foakes rebuild innings vs IND
- Ranji Trophy Live Score, 2023-24 Quarterfinal updates: Musheer scores 50; Bhatt picks 4 vs Mumbai; Saurashtra loses three
- ISL 2023-24 Highlights: Watch Jamshedpur FC edges out East Bengal in a added-time thriller
- Lalla Meryem Cup: Diksha, Pranavi in top five after first round in Morocco