Paula Badosa will miss the French Open after suffering a stress fracture in her spine at the Italian Open last week, the former world number two said on Thursday.
The 25-year-old Badosa, who was ranked second a year ago, has dropped to 29th amid an injury-ridden season. The Spaniard was knocked out in the quarter-finals in Rome.
“Just when everything seemed to be fine again, I received bad news just before starting a Grand Slam. At the tournament in Rome I suffered a stress fracture in my spine,” she said in a statement.
“It has been very hard news after such a difficult start of the season with injuries. This is going to keep me out of competition for some weeks.”
Badosa also missed the Australian Open in January due to a thigh injury sustained in a tune-up tournament in Adelaide.
The French Open begins on Sunday.
- India beats Australia in Mohali for first time since 1996 in ODIs
- Ind vs Aus, 1st ODI: India beats Australia to dethrone Pakistan as the No. 1 ODI team
- T20 World Cup 2024: Full list of venues for men’s WC, seven in Caribbean, three in USA
- Sheffield Utd boss says football is ‘worst sport’ for racism
- IND vs AUS highlights 1st ODI: India beats Australia by five wickets, leads three-match series 1-0