A French Open title was never to be John McEnroe's. The closest the colossal player came to the major clay title was in 1984, where he lost in the summit clash.
The American's best finish in the French Open was a semifinal appearance. He entered the last four in 1979, 1980, 1984, 1985 but a win at Roland Garros was never to come.
Boris Becker could only reach the semifinals at Roland Garros three times — in 1987, 1989 and 1991.
Stefan Edberg reached his only French Open final in 1989, where he lost to Michael Chang and therefore a career Grand Slam was always elusive.
Pete Sampras has a 14 Grand Slam titles to his name, but a French Open title eluded him forever. His best at the Roland Garros was a semifinal finish in 1996.
After becoming the youngest player ever to win a Grand Slam junior title at Roland Garros, Hingis was never able to replicate the same at the senior level. She reached the final in 1997 and 1999.
- India vs Australia LIVE Score Updates, 4th T20I: AUS - 83/3 (11), McDermott was given out but is saved by the DRS; Streaming info
- IND A vs ENG A Women: Issy Wong’s heroics help England level T20 series 1-1
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Saurashtra on brink of elimination after Mumbai registers fifth consecutive win
- Rafael Nadal to return to playing at Brisbane International in January after being out for a year
- Mali beats Argentina 3-0 to finish third in FIFA U-17 World Cup 2023