Greek eighth seed Maria Sakkari crashed out of the U.S. Open in the first round following a 6-4 6-4 defeat at the hands of Spaniard Rebeka Masarova on Monday.
World number 71 Masarova converted all three break point opportunities she had during the 87-minute encounter to secure her first career win over a top-10 player.
Sakkari had control as she consolidated an early break for a 4-1 lead, but Masarova stormed back and won the next five games to wrap up the opening set.
In the second set, Masarova again consolidated a break for a 5-3 cushion and then, after Sakkari held serve to stay alive, closed out the encounter on her second match point with a backhand winner that dropped just inside the corner.
With the loss, Sakkari became the first seeded casualty of the U.S. Open.
For Sakkari, the defeat marked the final blow in a disappointing Grand Slam year for her as she followed a third-round appearance at the Australian Open with first-round exits at the French Open, Wimbledon and now the U.S. Open.
- Australia vs Pakistan LIVE Score, ICC World Cup 2023 updates: Pakistan opts to bowl, Usama replaces Shadab in Playing XI
- Australia vs Pakistan Dream11 prediction, ICC World Cup 2023: AUS vs PAK playing XI, fantasy team, and squads
- MotoGP Australia: Binder takes charge in FP2; Bagnaia misses top 10
- Australian GP main race moved to Saturday due to bad weather
- ICC ODI World Cup 2023: Injured Hardik Pandya ruled out of IND vs NZ fixture