Top-seeded Maria Sakkari and former champion Donna Vekic were eliminated from the grass-court Nottingham Open at the last-16 stage on Wednesday.
Sakkari was beaten 6-1, 6-4 by Alize Cornet and Vekic, the winner in 2017 and the runner-up in ‘19, lost Viktorija Golubic 6-4, 6-1.
On Tuesday, defending champion and second-seeded Beatriz Haddad Maia was defeated by lucky loser Daria Snigur 6-4, 6-3 in the first round.
Another seed to fall in the second round was Lin Zhu, who lost 6-2, 6-4 to Magdalena Frech. Lin was the eighth seed at the Wimbledon warmup event.
Britain’s Heather Watson gave home fans something to cheer by beating Tatjana Maria 6-4, 6-4 to set up a meeting in the quarterfinals with Golubic.
- Take Bairstow out of firing line: Cook urges England to bench the out-of-form batter
- Royal Challengers Bangalore WPL 2024 team analysis: Squad depth, players to watch out, fixtures
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Bumrah released from squad; KL Rahul ruled out due to injury
- Japan women’s captain condemns AFC over venue switch for Paris Olympics Qualifier against North Korea
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24: Shardul Thakur runs the show to ensure Mumbai has last laugh against Assam